~Thought of the Day~

"Nonviolence in its dynamic condition means conscious suffering. It does not mean meek submission to the will of the evildoer, but it means the pitting of one's whole soul against the will of the tyrant. Working under this law of our being, it is possible for a single individual to defy the whole might of an unjust empire to save his honour, his religion, his soul and lay the foundation for that empire's fall or regeneration", wrote Gandhi.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Preparation, inner struggles, and other side notes

Greetings Pace e Bene family and other friends! I am embarking on a journey with CodePINK today, a journey supporting the healing of all those suffering from the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The delegation begins June 5th in Tel Aviv and about 30 of us will be working alongside the Israeli organization Coalition of Women for Peace. Our goal is to attempt to deliver toys, school supplies, and other aid to the children of Gaza. However, if we are not granted entry, we do have an alternate itinerary which includes everything from workshops with the humanitarian clown Patch Adams to touring East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Needless to say I have been running around for the last several days in preparation for this adventure and witness. Trying to stay grounded and immersed in the principles of nonviolence, I have asked myself the question "why am I doing this?" many times. And many answers have followed. For one, because it is important and necessary. The people of Gaza are hurting and suffering. But, in my inner work I always remember that the perceived "other" in this conflict is also wounded. This is where I remember my truth and that is, if I truly believe in nonviolence, truly believe in its transformative quality/power, then there is no other-there is only love. I also have heard the response "Because it is time." I am not sure what this means quite yet. I know I have waited a long time to take part in nonviolent service at this level. And having said that, I know that for a very long time I was not ready to participate in such activity.

I am not sure that I am fully prepared now…could one ever be? But, I am sure that I am honored to be a part of such a delegation and hope to bring love and compassion to the people I meet along the way. I hope to remember the ways of truth and love. I hope to check my fear at the San Francisco Airport and forgive myself for where I forget. I hope to sit in humility and levity. I hope to carry my true heart and I hope to remember to laugh and sing and smile. I hope…:)

The excitement is bearing down now and I leave in just a few moments. I can feel the prayers around me and it is good. May Peace Continue to Guide Our Every Step.

See you next in Tel Aviv!

Pace e Bene,

Felicia

No comments:

Post a Comment